Thursday, January 24, 2008

Huh.

Kent and I have not been really good about getting out doing stuff in San Antonio. We both think we probably should but between his exhausting school schedule and my general laziness we spend most weekend and down time at home hanging out with our dog. Over the weekend I though that we should look into remedying this. After all, we are in different city and should probably make some memories that don't include our television.

With that goal in mind I set to work this weekend to find things we could do outside our apartment. San Antonio has a few problems: first, there's simply not a lot to do besides the Riverwalk and the Alamo. We've gone to the Riverwalk and had one over-priced meal and several over-priced beers. (Before I quit drinking, natch.) As for the Alamo, we drove by it once and that seemed like enough. Seriously, my friend told me that it wasn't all that impressive. Maybe we should check it out though so that we can tell other people that and base it on first-hand experience?

Second, San Antonio, much like Denver, does not offer much in the way of museums. It's certainly nothing like New York City or Washington, DC. Not even close. There you have a plethora of exciting museums full of interesting things. Here you can go to the Witte Museum or Ripley's Believe It or Not! which I'm actually dying to see. The Witte Museum is the San Antonio equivalentof the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. I enjoy the DMNS about once every two years or when they get a temporary exhibit that I'm excited about.

Anyway while perusing the Witte Museum's offering I noticed that they'll be hosting Body Worlds II for four months. I'm very excited about this. Kent and I saw Body Worlds in Denver and it was really great. For those of you unfamiliar with it, scientists use polymer impregnation to preserve corpses for anatomical display.

So, now we must go to the baffling thing that happened regarding Body Worlds. Over the weekend I was telling someone about the exhibit. Some of you might be thinking I was verbally bitchslapped by someone that finds Body Worlds offensive, which wasn't the case. I will interject here that was prepared for that however and navigated the situation in such a way that there was no need for the person to lecture me on The Evils Of Science and the Desecration of Corpses. (By the way, I respect that some people's religious beliefs forbid preserving/displaying the dead and that's fine but I expect them to respect that my religion doesn't and we don't need to argue about it. The end.)

No, the shocking part came when this person told me that she had never been to a museum. I thought she was kidding at first. Or that I misheard her. How is it even possible in this day and age to have never been to a museum? What kind of public school system do we have that children don't take trips to museums at least once a year? I don't mean to be dramatic but to me, that's completely incomprehensible. What are schools doing? Is there any concern for children who don't have many resources to get an education equivalent to a child with higher means?

And with that I'm going to go find a Department of Education building to throw rocks at.

1 comment:

-hanna said...

how is this supposed to make me want to come out to san antonio? besides visiting you and kent of course? well, then again i like my utter laziness and a weekend spent in SA just might fair well.... :)