Thursday, January 31, 2008

A how-to

Dear Fellow Whataburger Customers,

I noticed today that many of you appear to be having a bad day. The first thing that tipped me off was that, frankly, most of you were wearing sweatpants. I understand, as I also love sweatpants but the days I spend in them are days I also don't leave the house. So please let me give you my sympathies for whatever is giving you a difficult time.

With that said, I also noticed that many of you were very rude to the people taking your order. Some of you snapped at them when they asked you a question clarifying what you wanted to eat. One of you interrupted someone else's order because you didn't know your own order number (hint: it's the number on the plastic card you were holding). Almost all of you ignored tenants of common human decency, such as saying "hello", "please" and "thank you".

I imagine this might be difficult to believe but people that work in fast food restaurants are not actually robots. That means they have feelings and are deserving of consideration. Maybe you think that because they work at Whataburger they're below you and therefore you don't need to say "please" or "thank you". First, I would like to point out that none of the employees were wearing sweatpants in public so right there they've got something on most of you. Second, when you were taught manners they were actually for use in all situations. They just make the world a little bit sunnier a place so quit acting like white trash and use them. I will take this opportunity and point out that although you might not have been polite, all the employees unfailingly were.

The last point I would like to make is, even though employing your manners is appropriate in almost all situations, why on Earth would you ever be rude to or otherwise antagonize someone that's in the unique position of handling something you'll be putting in your mouth? If we're being completely honest, you should be lucky that I don't work there because the temptation of sabotaging your meal would be mighty hard to resist.

Also, your sweatpants make you look fat.

Cheers!

Maggie

No comments: