Friday, August 26, 2011

BLARGH

This has not been one of my more fun weeks.  Last week, Bear started nursery school.  I will pause here for an aside.  The school situation is out.  Of. Control.  We moved to our town last year when Bear was 15 months.  People immediately started asking us where we were going to send him to elementary school.  Wha...?  Uh, he can barely walk.  I'm thinking about when he can reliably cross the room on two feet, not where he's going to go to kindergarten.  People told us that if we wanted to get into the good charter school we needed to send in enrollment paperwork immediately, since most people start the enrollment process when their kids are a few weeks old.  A FEW WEEKS OLD.  Do they not realize that we live in a suburb of Denver?  This isn't New York City or Los Angeles, where crazy women who hate themselves force their kids into doing things so they can compete with other crazy moms.

Ahem.  Sorry for that.  Anyway, Bear started nursery school.  Yeah, two-years-old is pretty young.  I think it will indicate something about two-year-old boys when I tell you that all ten kids in his class are boys.  It's just a couple hours three times a week.  The teachers are really nice, they teach a little bit of basic stuff: colors, shapes, letters and numbers, most of which Bear already knows.  The other focus is on teaching them how to participate in adult led activities.  I've noticed since he started that he's been having a measurably more difficult time handling frustration and, literally, ANY separation  from me.  If he could, I think he would be physically touching me at all times.  I'm not sure how much is his age and how much is starting school.  I really like the teachers and I like the teaching philosophy but if things don't getter better I'm afraid my only choice will be to withdraw him.  He's not used to being apart from me so much and I'm wondering if this is too much for him at two.

The other things we've been dealing with is Bunny being extremely fussy.  Since a few weeks old, she's spent a lot of time crying and not sleeping.  Nursing has been problematic and, at times, discouraging.  I chalked it up to simple colic and figured she would outgrow it and we'd just have to slog through the next few months.  On Wednesday we went in for her well-baby exam and mentioned the fussiness.  The NP told us that she thought that Bunny might have reflux.  She gave us a prescription for Zantac and since we started giving it to Bunny we've noticed a big difference.  She's sleeping and eating better and much less fussy.  It's a big relief, but I still think I need a beer. 

No comments: