Monday, November 29, 2010

Lost

I know that for a lot of you this is going to be a weird, extremely anal-retentive post.  But that's ok.  I have a problem with losing things.  My problem isn't that I lose things often, my problem is that when I do lose something it bothers me endlessly.  Seriously, endlessly.  Three years later I'll still be checking under cushions just in case I didn't see the item the first 781 times I checked.  My latest crusade, if you will, is missing toys.  Bear has a few toys that I try very hard to keep track of each and every piece.  In particular, some puzzles, and blocks that fit into shapes cut into a box.  They're the kinds of toys that, if the pieces aren't looked after, will disappear forever and the toy will have to be thrown out.  So I try very hard to track down every piece at the end of the day when I clean up.  I did an excellent job for a long time, then we moved and I got out of the habit.  I've recently gotten back into the routine and somewhere along the way during our move one of the blocks went missing.  This bugs me daily and it's made worse by the fact that I have no idea where it might be.  Actually, considering the fact it was strewn among three different toy boxes that it's missing only one piece out of twelve isn't bad, but nevertheless it drives me crazy.  I keep thinking that as soon as I complete the other three organization projects I have left, it's bound to turn up.  Today though, I was given a new frustration.  ANOTHER piece went missing.  Since I knew this one had been around within the last two days I checked all of the usual places that might be: toy boxes, under the couch, under the dress, under the crib, all to no avail.  I can't find that damn thing.  So now TWO pieces are missing and it's like this little irritant I can't get rid of.  Obviously I know that there are things that are much more important in the world and much bigger issues.

Please tell me that someone, anyone, has this same affliction.  You don't have to be a mom.  Just please assure me that I'm not the only compulsive person out there.

1 comment:

PK said...

If I lose something I get over it pretty quickly - sorry Maggs! But we have always known you are anal retentive - it's endearing! ;-)