Tuesday, October 30, 2007

To work or not to work?

I've been giving a lot of thought lately to going back to school for my Master's degree in counseling. Being a military spouse has made me very impassioned for solider rights. The war itself is another long, angry blog but I'd like to counsel soliders with post traumatic stress disorder and their families. However I am feeling a little conflicted. Even though we're still a few years out from having kids Kent and I both agree that one parent staying home is extremely important. This alone probably isn't that conflicting as many parent, especially mothers, stay home for a few years while their kids are young and return to work when their kids start school.

My issue is that I have no plans on sending my kids to school. I just reread that sentence and it sounds sort of funny. I mean that ideally I want to home school our kids. There are a lot of home schoolers that do so for religious reasons but that's not my issue at all. My reasoning is actually pretty straight-forward. I don't think public education does a very good job and I think oftentimes learning becomes drudgery instead of fun. I think kids are diagnosed with ADD or ADHD because kids aren't meant to sit at a desk for six hours a day.

Anyway, so this is where my conflict stems. On one hand I want to get the education I feel passionate about for myself. But if I get that education will it go to waste? Will I regret not pursuing a career so I can take care of my family? Too bad I can't be split in two. Then I could satisfy both parts of me.

1 comment:

Rural Dee said...

Education a waste? Never. In fact, you'll probably do more counseling as a mother than you will ever do in a career. So a master's would be quite helpful. :)