Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Things I know about San Antonio

1. Drivers are crazy;
2. Yielding is optional;
3. A merge sign usually means stop. But sometimes it means cut across two lanes of traffic without looking;
4. Construction signs are meaningless;
5. It is OK to drive down the interstate at 50 mph.

Needless to say, my morning commute is white-knuckle the whole way. I guess it's OK but it means that I don't really need coffee anymore. Yesterday I was driving along in the morning and got stuck in traffic. One of the habits I'm trying to break is falling apart in a rage any time I'm on the road and cars stop moving. So I drank some water, sung along to the radio and tried to ignore the grumbling beast of frustration as I crept along. After 25 (!) minutes of sitting in traffic I finally arrived at the source of the problem. A minivan was stopped in the middle lane. It looked new and shiny so I didn't know if it broke down or if the driver needed stop for a bathroom break. Either way he or she was nowhere to be seen. I imagine he or she was hiding from all us angry commuters.

1 comment:

Rural Dee said...

Dude, I hear ya. An online article I read said that Miami is number one in the nation for bad driving. It took me a good year and a half to adapt.