Friday, October 12, 2007

I might be mean

Everyday on my way home from work I drive by this person selling candy apples on the corner. He walks around among the cars with a big box of them and they cost a dollar. First, I don't know who would want to buy a candy apple from a stranger on a corner. But second, I hate that he walks around the cars. I would hate it if he just stood on the corner but I really hate that he will come up to your window and look in at you when you're six cars back.

This is actually one of my biggest gripes about San Antonio in general. There are people on every corner selling candy apples or newspapers or keychains. If they aren't selling something they want a donation. I did not experience this in Denver. I don't know why, maybe the weather was less appealing or maybe there were laws that banned people from selling things on corners. Don't get me wrong, we still had homeless people begging but it seemed like a lot less.

For the record, I NEVER give people money. There has been one occassion where money was given but it was by Kent. And, in his defense, the guy came up and stuck his face pretty much against our window. It was actually pretty alarming and if I'd been alone, I most likely would have run the red light. But since Kent was with me I didn't worry because I knew he would be able to kick the guy's ass if need be. Anyway, he got $3 and we learned that he recovered from drugs thanks to Jesus Christ. At least we learned something.

No comments: