Monday, March 24, 2008

Maybe I should number my posts

Maybe I should number my posts so I don't have to think of a clever title. Hm...

Sorry for the lack of posting. The last week was really hard. My parents had to put our old dog, Molly, to sleep. She was getting old and really skinny and when the vet did an x-ray he found two big tumors in her belly. She went downhill progressively so my mom and dad decided they should put her down. We had one other dog that died when I was 13 and then we got Molly shortly after. She'd been our dog for a long time. I really loved her and I'm going to miss seeing her.

In other news I've decided that I'm going to run the Boulder Backroads Half-Marathon this year in September. I've wanted to do it for a long time and I'm going to drop the talk and take some action. It's not for six months so I think I've got ample time to prepare. To that end I've started running on a more regular basis. I used to run pretty often before I got married and it seems every year it's gotten less and less. Luckily I haven't seen too many changes in my figure other than some general wimpiness. Most of my clothes still fit though so I'm pretty lucky.

There's a quarter mile track at my work so I've been going there to run. Normally I hate tracks almost as much as I hate treadmills but since I haven't done a lot of running in the past two years I think track running is pretty helpful. It's easier to track mileage and time and since it's a nice, flat surface I can work on building strength and running properly and not have to worry about going up and down hills at the same time.

Since I've started running again I've been working really hard on having good form so that my stride is more efficient, which is not something I've spent much time on in the past. I know that I've had a tendency to take really short steps and hunch over. Hopefully I'll get better at not doing those things and increase my performance.

So that's what's been going on this past week. Last weekend we went to the Natural Bridge caverns and if I can ever remember to bring my camera to work I'll be posting pictures of that. This weekend we're going to Corpus Christi to hang out at the beach and we're really looking forward to that!

1 comment:

Rural Dee said...

I'm sorry to hear about Molly. :( I remember her! We lost my cat Jordan this year. Sigh. If only animals could live forever! But then I guess they would miss US when we were gone.

Yay to the running! Did I tell you I ran a half marathon in December? Best shape I've been in in my life. But now I'm back to barely making it 3 miles. Hee hee. Do you get Runner's World? I'd highly recommend it. Good stuff!