Friday, February 15, 2008

Lazy!

I've been so lazy the past week and suffering from a mild case of writer's block, as I said in my last post. See, I don't want to be one of the bloggers that people read either a) because they know me and feel obligated or b) because I'm so mind-bloggling boring they can't believe it. So that's the story.

Moving right along.

Last week marked the beginning of Lent. Although I'm not Catholic or even all that religious I like to give something up for its 40 days. For example, last year I gave up shopping and I'll thank all of YOU to stop laughing. This year I was undecided on what I wanted to sacrifice. I already gave up drinking so I felt it would be cheating to give it up again since I'm not doing it. Kent decided to give up meat. So two days after the start of Lent I decided to give it up also. I mean, I already hadn't had any for a couple days plus, pratically speaking it would make dinner time easier.

However today was a difficult day. I really, really wanted a turkey sandwich. I stood in front of the cooler at the grocery store eyeing all the premade turkey sandwiches. Little turkeys were can-canning in my head. I gathered all my resolve and got what I can only describe as the most disgusting frozen pesto bowl I've ever had. The up side is that now I don't want a sandwich anymore. The down side is now I feel like barfing.

Going 10 days without makes me wonder how I survived as a vegetarian for a year and half in high school. I gave up meat the summer between junior and senior year. I think my rationale at the time was my concern for poor animals. And of course I can't ignore the secret glee only a teenager can get from doing something they know irritates their parents. I was actually dumb enough not to eat meat even during my summer trip to Germany. People would ask me what I thought of schnitzel and would smugly say "I don't know. I'm a vegetarian. I didn't try it." For some reason no one thought that was as impressive as I did. They just looked at me like I was insane.

Later I went back to Germany as a non-vegetarian and enjoyed delicious schnitzel so this story does have a happy ending. Incidentally, what's up with "flexitarians"? That's the dumbest term I've ever heard. They're people that usually don't eat meat but sometimes do, when they feel like it. Known to the rest of us as OMNIVORES.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, as a teenage vegetarian you're damned lucky your mother and I aren't like some wild animals who eat their young!! The effort of (mostly) not saying anything to you took at least 10 years off our lives!

Maggie said...

I was very fortunate to have you two as parents for many reasons, the least of which was my vegetarian experiment! xoxo

-hanna said...

i too went without beef, pork, and poultry for a stint in college. i figured that as long as i had beer and sushi, i was alright!